Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Being a mom is the best.  Of course being a mom has it's moments (many with a 2 year old) in which you forget why you love it so much.  But most of the time it is more rewarding than anything else in this world.  I love my 2 little guys more than they could ever possibly know.  Their smiles, laughter and excitement for things like the trash man, police cars, fire trucks and airplanes are what get me through each day and truly make me happy.  I am also grateful to have such a wonderful and loving mother of my own as well as a wonderful mother-in-law that I have truly enjoyed getting to know and love.  In small tribute to them, here are just 10 of the many things I love about my mom and mom-in-law:

The Jena/Gwema (my mom)

1. You always put your family first, always without fail. 
2. You taught me how to be organized and clean
3. You always make the best food.... seriously, you even make simple things like quesadillas taste amazing!
4. You helped me start my own testimony of the gospel by sharing yours often and keeping it strong
5. You taught me how to never let the flame die between you and your spouse by doing things like making date night and alone time with your hubbie a priority and always making an effort to dress up nice for him... it really makes a difference
6. You LOVE Dr. Laura**
7. You go to the temple often and are always serving others, especially in the church
8. You make sure you spend time with each of your grandkids and are always reading books to them, making them yummy cookies, giving them special toys (like bright orange sunglasses :)), and just loving them, temper tantrums and all
9. You come stay with us for a week after we have a new baby and cook, clean, and rock a crying baby in the middle of the night so we can get some sleep and all without a single complaint and a smile on your face!
10. Most importantly, you stayed home to raise us yourself.  I will forever be grateful for the memories I have of doing things together, of having you always there, and for the person I am today because of the way you raised us.  You are the reason we have made sacrifices and given up a lot so that I could be home with our kids too. 


Gwama Sue (my mother-in-law)

1. You raised an amazing boy! He is truly the best, thanks in big part to you!
2. You also are an amazing cook!  Part of the reason we love coming to visit is the yummy food! And I love that you always make us a really good and big breakfast everymorning we are there! 
3. You happily hem all my pants for me...... don't worry I have some waiting to be hemmed for you right now! Guess we will have to make a trip down there soon :)
4. You love to read and talk about exercising, mostly running, biking and swimming. (And you let me ride your awesome bike!)
5. You love to buy the kids super cute clothes and you are always willing to hold the baby or entertain Jackson so John and I can relax or go do something fun
6. You are just as obsessed as me with the whole "Twilight" series.  I love trying to analyze it all with you!
7. You have a great sense of humor that you have passed on to John.... you definitely both keep us laughing!
8. You are always motivated and a hard worker which you have also passed on to John
9. You like to get me relaxing girlie presents like pedicures and a makeover
10. You always make it special and fun when we come to visit!

Thanks Mom and Sue for all you do! You are the best moms I could ever ask for. Happy Mother's Day! We love you lots and lots! 


** Just a side note, if you haven't already, go buy Dr. Laura's Slessinger's new book, In Praise of Stay-at-home Moms.  My mom and I got to go watch part of her Mother's Day show and it was SO good! She really understands the importance of being a mom and it was just good to be reminded of the rewards that come from being a mom and it was just nice to listen to someone who actually supports stay-at-home moms which is hard to find in this day. She also has written a really good book called, The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. Seriously, it is really good.  

3 comments:

Mom and Sarah said...

Have to agree, Steph, you have an amazing mom! She's so proud of you and your little guys. Congratulations for all the wonderful choices you are making! Keep up the good work...love you!

Shalene said...

we hope you had a great mothers day!!

The Yates said...

What about the Proper Care and Feeding of Wives??

he he...