Monday, October 6, 2008

Children's Museum


Thanks to another mom from church who made a list for me of all the fun, inexpensive things to do around the Beaverton/Portland area, we not only found out that there is a Children's Museum geared towards kids Jackson's age, but also that it is free on the first Friday of every month from 5:30-8:00pm!!  So, Lisa came over Friday with her little boy Jack (who is Jackson's BFF), and her little baby girl, Lucy, and we hung out, made some pizza, quickly and crazily got all the kids together and walked out in the rain to the max stop where we hopped on the "choo choo" as the boys call it and met the boys- John and Lisa's husband, Tom, at the Museum (there is a max stop right at it- it's right next to the zoo).  It was my first real life lesson on what its like to have more than one kid trying to get them all fed, diapers changed and out the door in one piece.  It was pretty crazy- and we had 2 adults! It makes me wonder what John and I got ourselves into! Hopefully we will survive with each kid we add to the family- which may not be many more now! :) At one point, I told Jackson we were going to go ride the choo choo, and he got so excited that he went and stood by the door and as soon as I unlocked it, and while I was trying to put on my shoes, he ran out the door, across the sidewalk and was already down to the corner halfway to the max! I had to run as fast as my 8 month pregnant body would allow and catch him! I couldn't believe how fast he was running! I guess he was just a little bit excited. 

Anyways, the museum was a ton of fun for Jackson! Everything was just so perfect for his age and size, and he was in heaven. They had a cute little grocery store room with carts his size-which he loved b/c he is always trying to push ours at the store.  There was fake food to shop for, and even a couple of check-out stands where you could scan your food.  There was also a digging area with dump trucks, tunnels to crawl through, a tree house to climb, a water works room where he got soaking wet and loved it, a choo choo room with train tracks and trains, an ambulance to drive and turn on the lights and siren, and the best part the Bob the Builder exhibit they have right now.  It had tractors to drive, rock walls to build, and lots of other fun stuff!  The only bad thing was that I think there was almost too much to do, and too many older kids running around crazy with no parents in sight, so it did get a little bit overwhelming at times.  We tried to take as many pictures as we could, but Jackson was too busy running from one thing to another having tons of fun, but here's some of the ones we did get. 
So I have a couple more pictures, but for some reason they won't load up.  We will definitely be back to the museum next month though, so look for more pictures then! 

6 comments:

Christi said...

That is awesome you had to run after Jackson. I can just see it.
Sounds like there are so many fun things to do there. We miss you guys!!!!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Fun, fun! We are taking Ethan to the Children's museum in Salem in two weeks so I'm hoping it's as cool as the one in Portland. And I'm glad you're finding so much fun stuff to do. :)
Also, if you want to make the drive, you are more than welcome to join us that day - we're going the 18th.

And... I can't believe #2, aka Baron, is almost here! I have several other pregnant friends and it still seems like their due date is so far away. I'm sure it hasn't been going very fast for you, but at least it seems faster than some of my friends'!

Shalene said...

wow sounds like tons of things to do there. I bet you were busy running around. i can just see jackson running from one thing to the other and you just arriving to the thing he just left before you have to move again. He is so energetic.

Shannon said...

So fun! The train deal is so awesome I wish we had that! I don't think Cali has figured out that you can build train tracks and just MAYBE free up the freeway a tiny bit! ha.... I am picturing little Baron bouncing all around running after Jack! Hey, don't forget to watch the game tonight!

Stephanie said...

Wow! We'll have to check that one out. It looks like they had an absolute blast. And don't worry about the two kid thing. You'll do great. Just be grateful you didn't have twins. :S

Justin + kelly said...

How Fun!! Its nice to get to free stuff eh! Hope all is well with you guys.