Thursday, August 8, 2013

Uncle Eric's Funeral

After Christmas Time, we pretty much went back to survival mode with both John and I working a ton of hours and Miss Morgan struggling with eating, sleeping and being happy :).  It was a very hard year.  Then, in March, on the 15th, my Uncle Eric ( my mom's older brother), was hit and killed while riding his bike in southern California.  We knew we just had to be down there for the funeral to be with family during such a difficult time as well as to be able to pay our respects and say goodbye.  He was such an amazing man who did SO MUCH good in his life.  He was truly one who served God and his fellow men up until the very minute he was killed.  He touched and changed so many lives.  Everyone who knows him loves him because he loved everyone else with his whole heart.  His smile was infectious and his attitude always uplifting and inspiring.  I will be forever greatful for the legacy he left.  My heart just aches for my Aunt Daren as she faces the future without her other half.  It is something I worry about facing myself and just don't know what I would do if it comes to that.... but I will save that for another post.  The trip ended up being a really wonderful time with family being together and remembering EB.  Morgan even did wonderfull in the car and during everything that went on.  The boys were happy to be back at Grammie's and playing with cousins.  It was a good opportunity for them to learn about life and death and the plan of salvation and how families can be together again, for forever.  I am so glad we were able to go so last minute and for so many days!  Unfortunately, with leaving so quickly, we forgot a lot of things, including our camera.  So all that I do have from that almost week we were gone are from my phone.




 Some of the Billings Clan





 The Monday after all of Eric's friends and family got together at his favorite surf spot to do a paddle out.  Those who could, paddled out on surf boards and got together in a circle to say some words and give him a cheer and send out lai's in the water for him.  It was a really neat experience to watch and be a part of.   John got to paddle out with everyone while I stayed behind with the kiddos.






Unfortunately I don't have a picture of them all out in the water, but it has been on facebook and is a really powerful shot. 

No comments: