Monday, August 8, 2011

Mourn with those that Mourn



The past week has been tough.  I was originally planning on my next post being a "we're expecting #3!" announcement.  Unfortunately I had a miscarriage instead.  Hopefully that post will still be coming sometime in the future.  I know most people are very "hush hush" about this kind of thing and seem to try to sweep it under the mat, but there are 2 reasons I am writing this post:


1.) To explain & apologize   
2.) To record my feelings/count my blessings. 


 I have already learned a great deal through this trial and have an extreme amount of gratitude that I dont want to ever forget-  I am still hoping to make this blog into a book which I am hoping means our kids will read this when they are a little older and get something out of it


So here it goes:


Quick explanation:


I will spare you the gory details.... during an ultrasound last Thursday afternoon (July 28th) to check to see if everything was ok after some warning signs, it was discovered that while I should have been 13 weeks along from the time we knew we got pregnant, the baby showed to be only 8 weeks in size and no longer had a heartbeat. (I had a previous ultrasound at 7 weeks that showed a healthy heartbeat and no signs of trouble). With all the details now, we have concluded that the baby had trouble growing from the start and was not meant to live more than just a few weeks inside me before it returned to live with our Heavenly Father.


An Apology:


I have been SO sick for the past 2 months.  There have been some days when I could only handle a diet of applesauce and cheerios.  And even some days where I have thrown up that and just sipped on gatorade.  It has been really really hard and of course frustrating to end it like this instead of with a precious little baby in my arms.  


So, i really feel the need to apologize..... 


~Apologize for all the unanswered calls, emails, facebook messages, etc.
~Apologize for those whom I may have accidentally offended because they       thought I was ignoring them or decided I thought I was too good for them 
~Apologize for my lack of attention/effort to my wardrobe and makeup and hair  
~Apologize for my lack of energy and enthusiasm and lack of effort put into my normal activities and callings.  


Our family has honestly been in survival mode the last 2 months.  It has been really hard.  I was really sick with Baron and Jackson too, but this one was even worse.


True Empathy:


One thing this experience has given me is greater empathy for those who have also had miscarriages as well.  You really cannot truly understand the sorrow (and physical pain and unpleasantness!) of losing a baby, until it happens to you.  This experience has given me greater respect to those moms I know who have done this before.... especially those who have had a full 9 month pregnancy only to end with a stillbirth.  My heart aches for them so much.  I cannot imagine how tough that was for them emotionally.  My own mother had 4 miscarriages.  I always knew that, but never really thought much besides "that must have been hard" before now.  Talking this through with her, I wanted to cry and mourn for her for all those times.  I really felt for all her sorrow.


Gratitude:


Of course I have cried a lot and my heart has broken, but something I have gained already from this experience is an immense amount of gratitude.  It has been the gratitude that has filled my heart with love, peace and hope.  Here are the things I have been feeling gratitude for during this:




**The precious and healthy 2 little boys we already have and who fill my everyday life with so much joy.  I am very grateful for them!  They have been so sweet and understanding and have filled my heart with so much love and peace with the hugs they have given me through this.


**An amazing husband who has been by my side and really stepped up right from the beginning of the pregnancy through all the sickness, and has been my rock through losing the baby.  I honestly don't know what I would do without him.  I am so grateful I get him for eternity.


**The priesthood and the opportunity it gives for us to hear our Heavenly Father's personal message of love and comfort for us during out greatest times of need.  I am grateful for a worthy priesthood holding husband who can be that spokesman for Him.


**Our ward family.  We have had some wonderful friends step up and take the boys and feed us dinner and become our family as we don't have any relatives close by.  I am so grateful for the organization of wards and the compassionate people who fill ours!


**My Mom and her words of wisdom.  She is the first and only person I was able to talk to on the phone for a while.  I love her.  I am so grateful for her.  Not only did she listen to me cry, she told me the things I needed to hear...like that it was not only ok, but important to take the time to mourn for this baby, no matter how long or short it had lived just in me.  She talked me through everything and was exactly the person I needed.  I really do feel so badly for her that she had to do this 4 different times, but I also was so grateful that she knew exactly what I was going through and could truly empathize with me and give some much needed advice on all the icky, very physically unpleasant parts of it as well.


**Once again, gratitude for my mom- after I had to have a D&C surgery/procedure done last minute at the hospital last Sunday, my mom told me over the phone (while I was lying in a hospital bed coming out of anesthesia- that stuff makes me so loopy!), that she wanted to send me flowers, but decided to come in person instead.  I will forever be grateful to her (and for my dad and brother for sharing her with me!) for this.  I can't tell you how much it meant to have my mom here this week.  Just to have her to talk to in person was a comfort, but she also went grocery shopping with me, cooked wonderful meals, scrubbed our place from top to bottom, entertained and spoiled the boys, and helped me rest, heal, and slowly get back into the swing of things.  It has been exactly what I needed this week.  She even managed to squeeze in an afternoon of sewing which resulted in some new drapes for our bedroom, a new pillow for our couch and one for our bed, church bags for the boys, shortened pillow cases and some clothes hemming.  She truly is a superwoman! 




**And lastly, gratitude for all the love and support and prayers sent our way.  I sometimes have struggled to know what to do and say when a friend or family member is going through a loss or just a hard time with a certain trial.  I have learned a great deal over the past week of what matters.  Here are my thoughts:  


The first two days, I really did not want to talk to anyone, except my mom.  I needed to cry, vent and hope for the future with her (so with someone you are really close to), but just couldn't really attempt to form words without balling to anyone else.  I am sure in a few more days or weeks, I will be able to talk about it more to some friends, but not while it was really fresh... at that point I was just trying to keep it under control.  But, some of our family and the very few close friends who we have told (and who so lovingly watched our boys all day for us) just sent simple texts or e-mails expressing their sorrow for us and their love and prayers.  Every time I read them I cried.  Even just a mere "sending a hug your way" would make me cry.... but in a good way.  I could honestly feel the love and prayers sent and it really touched both John and I.  It was exactly the support we needed.  It honestly wasn't anything long or time consuming.  A simple email of "we are thinking about you and mourning for your loss" really meant a lot.  Gave a whole new meaning to me of the scripture in Mosiah where it says,  "to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort."




All said and done it has been a very bitter/sweet experience and we have a lot of hope for the future.  For anyone going through some difficult trials and having a hard time seeing through the pain and frustration to the blessing that will come eventually, listen to this short, 30 minute message:  




http://mormonchannel.org/programs/stories-from-general-conference-episode-34?lang=eng#d


I promised it will be worth ever second of your time and I sincerely hope it will touch and inspire you as it has me.  




Thanks again to all for your love and support.  We truly feel blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful and good friends and family. 

16 comments:

Britt and Josh said...

This post was so sweet steph. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't say a little prayer in my heart hoping that things get better for you. I love you so so much.

- aunt burtney

Christi said...

What a great post!! I know how hard it is, but I am glad that you are doing better. I am glad that your mom was able to be there for you.
Also can I just say this is my favorite part
~Apologize for my lack of attention/effort to my wardrobe and makeup and hair
You are so silly :) I would need to put that on my every post :) You know we love you and wish we were closer!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

I'm so sorry you have had to go through this. What an unpleasant trial for you and your family to have. I'm glad your mom was able to come and help (yay for moms!). Know that we love your family very much and will keep you in our prayers. Also, remember that we are not *too* far away... I will gladly bring you guys dinner or take the boys if you need it. :)

Mandy said...

Oh, my heart goes out to you Steph! I adore you and John and am so sorry that you had to go through it. I have not experienced a miscarriage myself (although I have walked with many other people through it), but I have experienced the grief of infertility, which I think has many common emotions/questions/fears.

As much as it hurts, I pray you see God's hand through it all- as it seems you already are seeing. That it strengthens your marriage, your dependence on God, makes you a stronger woman overall, and opens up doors of ministry with you and other women who have experienced the same thing.

I hate that you're having to go through it at all, but I've learned that God uses the rain sometimes to bring about the beauty in the landscape around us. There's a song that really ministered to me at my darkest times that said "Bring me joy, bring me peace, bring the chance to be free. Bring me anything that brings you glory. I know there'll be days when this life brings me pain. But if that's what it takes to praise you, Jesus bring the rain."

Emily said...

Great post. It's just soooo hard, and you're right, it's hard to understand unless you've been through it. I was too scared to blog about mine, but I did write down all of my feelings and that was really therapeutic for me. I'm so sorry Steph, I'm glad you have good family and friends around you to give you support.

Claudia said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost a baby at 18 weeks back in January, so I totally understand. Really, I do. It's hard to explain the grief to someone when you've never held the baby, when you're just barely out of the "danger zone", etc. but the grief is so real. I too, just went in for my regular appointment and there was no heartbeat. There's no easy way to take that info. We found out there was a birth defect in our little one, and it wouldn't have made it to birth, either. It's hard to understand the lesson in that trial. But what I, too, felt was the intense love for my little Claire. She was with me when I found out the baby was gone, and the concern she expressed for me was so tender, it just made me love and cherish her all the more. I am forever grateful that she was there with me. I truly believe it was a tender mercy to have her there to help me focus on the blessings and not just the pain. That is what helped me heal the most, realizing that I am so blessed to have such a beautiful daughter - regardless of what happens in the future. We are now expecting again (we got pregnant 2 months after my D&E), and just found out yesterday that we are expecting a boy. Though being pregnant again so soon has had it's own trials (talk about worrying over every little thing!), it is such a blessing to know that this little boy is healthy and strong.

You are so brave to write about it on your blog. Though I use mine as our family journal, I was too scared/shy to write about it. I guess I thought it would be too morbid or inappropriate for some strange reason. And sometimes I still wish I would've. Because I felt the need to talk about it, and some people are too afraid to ask, I think, because it's such a painful subject. I wish I wouldn't have just glossed over it, pretending that it didn't happen (though that wasn't my intent at all). But I think it happens a lot more than we realize. Kudos to you for having the courage to share that grief with people who care and pray for you. Again, I am so sorry. Thinking of you!

Hesses Madhouse said...

Wow Stephanie! I had no idea. How great to have such great parents. Now I know where you get it. Thank you for sharing all of your wisdom and feelings. Glad you've been so well taken care of. I'm sorry you had to go through this, but sounds like you've taken all the wonderful tender mercies from it that were intended for you. You're such a wonderful example!

lisa said...

Okay, I had to stop reading several times just to wipe the tears away before I could read any more. I'm so amazed you could write that--it's one thing to feel it, and it's another to have the clarity and courage to be able to articulate it all. I think anytime people share what they've been going through and what they've learned, it helps strengthen everyone's testimony, and adds to everyone's compassion for others. I can't imagine how hard it's been, but I can assure you that we've never been offended, so there's no need to apologize to us! Take your time, like your mom said, and don't worry about giving yourself a timeline for when you're 'supposed' to done mourning. Even though it seems like this is a common thing, that doesn't help ease the pain of it, and it's always different when it actually happens to you. I'm so glad your mom could come, it sounds like it's exactly what you've needed.

You guys are such great friends to us, we've been so grateful to have you close by for these past few years. Just know we're still thinking about you and hoping things are getting better each day. More hugs your way... ;)

Shalene said...

We were so sad when we heard the news. We hope that you are able to have a full recovery both physically and spiritually :) Love you guys!!

Kimberly said...

Steph, thank you for writing this post. I know that your boys (and you) will love looking back and reading it. And I am grateful you allowed the rest of us to read it as well.

Kimberly said...

Weird...don't know how that posted already! Anyway... I had to wipe away tears, and I'm grateful for the insight that this provided. You are an amazing woman, and I'm honored to be your friend!

Patrick and Paige said...

STEPH, I love you and your family so much. Even as I sit here, I am in tears. you are so strong and brave. I know that you are receiving tons of support and help right now and I am so glad. My heart aches for you but I know that knowledge of the lord's plan is so helpful. I love you and please know that we are thinking of you. can't wait to give you a big hug. XOXO!!!

Sara said...

Steph- That was so wonderful to read. I am so sorry for your loss and am hoping for good new soon. I am so happy you were able to write about this because I often wonder how people cope with such a loss. I think about you and your darling family often and hope that you are doing well. Thank you for your strength Steph! Our prayers are with you!

Lauren said...

Hi, found your blog through Stephanie Jerdon and I'm sorry that I caught up with you at such a difficult time. I can't imagine how that must feel, but you wrote about it with such courage and grace. Thanks for sharing.

Sue said...

It has been 19 years since my hardest miscarriage at 4 months along. Your post brought back all the feelings, but now I have the knowledge that Heavenly Father did send my children at the time that was correct for each of them. I had three more children after that time and looking back now I can see they all came at the right time. I'm so glad we saw you yesterday and I was able to read your blog today. (Try to move back into our Ward!)

Stephanie said...

Steph, I love you, girl. I'm sorry that you've had to go through this. You are such an amazing person and an awesome mom. You have many hearts with you.