Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A New Year!!

I am really happy 2010 is over.  Both 2009 and 2010 were difficult ones (as I am sure it was for many with this darn recession).  Although I know there will be some challenging moments and things to overcome in this next year, I am still happy to see it come.  I didn't even bother to set any goals or recognize it being a new year last year.   With having just moved for the 3rd time in 4 months, not having a place to call home, me not being able to start my new job when we were suppose to (got put off by 2 extra months!), my knee not doing so well after having to live on the 3rd floor for 4 months and having to go up and down the stairs multiple times a day just months after my surgery on it, as well as John's public tax accounting job blowing up and getting as stressful as possible as well as not having any time to study for and pass the CPA with the pressure of needing to pass it from his work, LIFE WAS CRAZY.  It wasn't the best start to a new year, needless to say.  We have concluded that our theme for 2010 was SURVIVAL, whether we liked it or not. 


BUT, it IS a NEW YEAR, and we are determined to make it a better one!  Our new theme for the year 2011 is to OVERCOME and to THRIVE.  And I am confident we can do it!  Mostly because John and I are both in wonderful new jobs now that have been a HUGE blessing, but also because through all our struggles we most definitely learned a great deal about not giving up and trying your best to still have hope, faith and trust in our Father in Heaven to help us get through and come out on top.  Another big reason I think we will get through this year while thriving is that we are in the most amazing ward that is SO supportive and loving, and we have FRIENDS!! I mean, good, close friends (and more than just one set of close friends), that would drop everything in an instant to help out and be there for us.  It really makes a huge difference, especially when you don't live close to any family.  It was difficult for us to make and keep such close friends when we were moving so often and living in a further city away from the ones we had.  But after many earnest prayers for some extra support, I really feel like this new ward and living back by some other dear and close friends has been a huge blessing and answer to prayers.  


SO, all that being said, BRING ON THE NEW YEAR!!  I have been thinking and talking with John a lot about this new year and have come up with a lot of little goals, but also some big, key, main goals for us:


**JOHN**


1. Take out all the trashes without being asked


2. Do all dishes


3.  Make dinner once a week


Ok, ok, so maybe these are my goals for John.... hehe.  Since he is a big boy, I will let him come up with his own :)


* *STEPH**


1. RESTORE HEALTH-  


I am really tired of having the body function of an 80 year old.  Plus, we would really like to have another baby sometime before the boys graduate high school :).  It is going to take a lot of exercise and dedication, LOTS of not so fun Dr. appointments, a possible MRI, a chance of another surgery, LAB tests, lots of physical therapy (and different kinds, not just on my knee), lots of frustration, patience, prayers and I am sure lots of tears.  It won't be easy, that's for sure.  But I need to do this.  There are some things my body is really struggling with right now and this year is going to be all about getting them fixed the best my body will allow.  I am so ready for it.  I feel like John's new job couldn't have come at a better time for this too... with health insurance and coverage with his new job being 100 x's better as well as his boss and company being more flexible and understanding and WAY nicer, I feel the timing is perfect.  I can do this.  I know I can.... but I am still a bit nervous and anxious for it all.  Wish me luck!


2.  MAKE JOHN'S LUNCH!!


Believe it or not, I struggle to remember to do this for him most days.  I am determined to remember most days at least (I know better than to expect 100% after failing so miserably already).  I am also hoping this goal will save us some mula in the end too so he doesn't have to eat out everyday! 


3. READ THE NEW TESTAMENT


It's been a while... in fact, I am not sure I have ever read the New Testament from beginning to end straight through, every single verse (gasp!).  Since it is what we are studying in Sunday School this year I really want to do it.  I look forward to having my testimony of Christ strengthened while I read about his life and mission while here on this earth. 


4. LESS TIME ON COMPUTER!!


I really think the less time I spend on here, the more time my will kids get from me.  I also think the less time on here I spend, the more attention my home, the laundry, the dishes, etc, will get from me.  Hopefully this will ease all of our burdens and stress a little more :)  But don't worry, I still plan on blogging, since this is my way of journaling and keeping the grandparents and family and friends living far away updated. 




**JACKSON**


1. Learn the sounds of and learn to write ALL ABC's and numbers 1-10.  


He is doing pretty good.  We have gotten to the letter G so far as well as he can write his name, but I really want him to learn them all and be writing them by next year. 


2. Master side breathing stroke in swimming and participate in and learn a new sport!


He still loves swimming and is so darn good at it, so we will continue putting him in lessons and are hoping to get into a little baseball, basketball or soccer too!


3. Learn more of the words to different primary songs and memorize a new scripture

He is in CTR 4 now... no longer a sunbeam! How did he get so old??




**BARON**


1. Become POTTY TRAINED!!!


I don't think he will have many problems with this... I really think I just need to find time to work with him and he will do great since he already likes to sit on the potty and talks so well. 


2. Overcome the terrible 2's


He really isn't that bad, but every now and then has some melt downs over independency battles. So, he is making a goal to overcome that :)


3. Stop growing up so fast and stay super cute and sweet, PLEASE. 


I am really pushing for this one. 




That about sums it up! Here's to hoping 2011 is full of Thriving and joy! I know there will be lots of ups and downs, but I am hopeful for this new year.  Happy New Year's everyone!! Hopefully those of you that have had tough year's lately will be able to thrive this year as well!!



4 comments:

Crazy In Love said...

You are amazing! I hope this year is wonderful for your family! We truly were an angle when we were in the same ward. Hope your family meets all of the goals!

Stephanie said...

I hope this year is a great one for you and your sweet family to get to "thriving" in. :) Great goals.

Christi said...

It is going to be a great year!!! We miss you guys so much already. Can't wait to hear the progress this year!

Crazy In Love said...

Man I should have spelled check before I posted that.. YOU were and ANGEL....