Monday, November 22, 2010

Rocket Ship Cake

When asked what kind of birthday cake Jackson wanted, he responded with, "A rocket ship cake!"  So, not being all that experienced in making cute cakes, I turned to my good friend, Kim Janeway, to help me out! Though it took a few hours and a lot of, we'll say "learning experiences" with the fondant, this is what we came up with:












No, it definitely wasn't perfect and the real reason there are so many stars was to cover all the rips in the fondant from making it too thin. BUT, it was a ton of fun to make, we were pretty proud of the outcome, and most importantly, Jackson absolutely LOVED it!!  After singing to him his only request was for the rocket ship on his piece of cake, though I got him to settle on the cool flames and part of the bottom of it since it would have been a ginormous piece had all the rocket been on it! 




I also made some chocolate cupcakes (his cake was 3 layers of confetti cake) spent a long time frosting them dark blue and put some cut out fondant stars on top to match the cake!  The kids mostly ate these.
We took him to Our of This World (indoor space themed playground) with a few friends and him and his buddies were running around like crazy having a blast! He talked about it for days afterwards!! I cannot even tell you how much fun he had! He kept saying, "Mom, Dad, you're the best! Thanks for my birthday!"  We had a great time celebrating with him!  He definitely deserved to have a great day!! 


 Singing to him
 Blowing out the candles
He sure was a happy little 4 year old!!

 Going down one of the slides on the playground... him and his buddy Jack had a lot of fun racing each other down!
Going down the blow-up slide... he was a little scared at first, but once he climbed up it and slid down it by himself once, we couldn't get him to stop! 


It was a very very fun night!!

A BIG BIG thanks to Kim for helping with the cake!! You are awesome!! It was so fun to learn how to do fondant!!

2 comments:

Sue Graham said...

What an amazing cake!!! You did an awesome job. Looks like Jackson had a fantastic day!

Kimberly said...

I was just thinking today that I needed to send you those pictures from right after we made it :) I'll do it as soon as I get them onto my computer!

I am SO glad you let me help you make that cake, and that you let us come celebrate with Jackson! We had so much fun. Brayden keeps asking to play with Jackson again and eat Rocket Ship cake :) haha gotta love it!